Winter Weather & Frozen Pipes
Winter weather can wreak all kinds of hazards to your Kannapolis or Concord home or business. Frozen pipes exposed to cold weather can burst and cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly. Some ways to help prevent frozen pipes include:
- Opening cabinets door to allow warm air in
- Leaving a small drip from your faucets
- Disconnecting outside hoses from your house
- Draining water from sprinkler lines
How to Thaw Frozen Pipes According to the American Red Cross
- Apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, a portable space heater (kept away from flammable materials), or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove, or other open flame device.
- Apply heat until full water pressure is restored. If you are unable to locate the frozen area, if the frozen area is not accessible, or if you can not thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.
- Check all other faucets in your home to find out if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze, too.
If winter weather does cause damage to your property, call SERVPRO of North Cabarrus County & China Grove to begin mitigation immediately to limit further damage.