Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Experiencing Fire Damage
The damage caused by a fire is devastating for your family and your home. We know that you are experiencing a very stressful, emotional and confusing time. We understand that you’ll need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. Our professional team at SERVPRO of North Cabarrus County & China Grove will always treat you with empathy and respect, and always treat your home and belongings with great care.
SERVPRO of North Cabarrus County & China Grove has the fire and water damage training and expertise to help you through this tough time. Fire and smoke damage goes beyond the physical fire itself. There will likely be soot covering the walls and ceilings and smoke and soot clinging to the interior surfaces of duct work. Once the fire department leaves, your home may also suffer from water damage caused by firefighting efforts. There’s a lot that needs to happen to restore your property, and we’re here to help. We offer pack out services to the items that can be restored. We will transfer your items to our secure restoration warehouse and clean and treat your property. Our team at SERVPRO of North Cabarrus County & China Grove takes pride in quickly restoring your home to pre-fire condition.
If you have suffered a fire loss, please refer to our Fire Damage Tips - Until Help Arrives Guide to protect yourself and your property.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (704) 939-1944
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.